- Insert the SQL Server installation media. From the root folder, double-click Setup.exe.
- The Installation Wizard runs the SQL Server Installation Center. To create a new installation of SQL Server, click Installation and then click New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
- Setup is now preparing to run the setup files.
- Now the setup support rules window will run to finish the installation of setup support files.
- Once the setup support files are installed,click OK to continue further installation.This will launch a product key window where the edition has to be specified.Then click NEXT.
- License terms window will be launched. In this window, select the check boxes ‘I accept the license terms’ (which is mandatory) and ‘send features usage data to Microsoft’(optional) ,then click NEXT.
Step 6 :
- Now SQL Server setup will be installed.
- These files listed below are necessary for actual installation. This dialogue box appears once you pass these checks successfully. Then, click NEXT
- Now setup role window appears. Now select the check box ‘SQL Server feature selection’ and click NEXT.
- Feature selection window appears. Now select all features so that we can walk through a complete installation process. This will install the Database Engine Services, Analysis Services, Reporting Services, and a number of shared features including SQL Server Books Online. You can also specify the shared feature directory where share features components will be installed and click Next to continue.
- This will take you to Installation Rules window, where Setup verifies the system state of your computer before Setup continues and Click Next to continue to the Instance Configuration page.
- Each server machine can host one default instance of SQL Server, which resolves to the server name, and multiple named instances, which resolves to the pattern ServerName\InstanceName. Click NEXT.
- This is the disk space requirement window which provide information of disk spaces. This doesn’t allow you to change anything. Now click NEXT.
- On clicking Next, Server configuration window appears. Here you specify service startup and authentication. Microsoft recommends that each service account have separate user accounts as a security best practice as shown in the figure. Now click NEXT
Step 14 :
- Now you may have noticed the Collation tab here in this page. Click Collation tab and then click Customize button to specify the collation for your Database Engine and Analysis Services instance that best matches your application needs and click NEXT.
- On clicking next , Database Engine Configuration window will be displayed. The SQL Server 2012 authentication mode was configured for “Windows Authentication Mode” per Microsoft security best practice. For demo purpose, “Mixed Mode Authentication” is selected. You will also need to specify the SQL Server administrators to be used. Here I will use the current logged in user by clicking Add Current User
- Click data dictionaries tab and specify default database, log, backup, and tempdb locations.
- Click FILESTREAM tab and enable this feature as specified in the figure.
- Click next to proceed to Analysis Services Configuration window.Specify users or accounts that will have administrator permissions for Analysis Services in Account Provisioning page and specify non-default installation directories in Data Directories page.
- Click Next to continue to Reporting Services Configuration window, specify the kind of Reporting Services installation to create. For this demo, Install and Configure option is selected.
- Click next to proceed to Distributed Replay Controller window, specify the users you want to grant administrative permissions to for the Distributed Replay controller service and then click Next to continue.
- Click next to Error Reporting window, select the check box if you want to send Windows and SQL Server error reports to Microsoft.
Step 23 :
- Click next, now System Configuration Checker will run some more rules that will validate your computer configuration with the SQL Server features you have specified.
- Correct any errors reported in the Installation Rules screen and click on next to Ready to Install page. This window shows information of installation options that were specified during Setup. On this window , Setup indicates whether the Product Update feature is enabled or disabled and the final update version.
Step 25 :
- Click Install button to start SQL Server 2012 installation. The Installation Progress window provides status so that you can monitor installation progress as Setup continues.
- When the installation is complete, click on next to Complete page.